A committed legal professional with an unwavering career devoted to justice and integrity. Acknowledged within the community as a dedicated individual in matters of both a judicial and supportive nature for many organizations. Recipient of multiple awards in appreciation of an unwavering community loyalty. Highly effective leader with unsurpassed interpersonal skills in the midst of the ability to understand human motivation and inspire behavioral change.
OHIO SUPREME COURT 2012-Present
- Presides over discretionary criminal and civil appeals that are found to be “cases of public or great general interest.”
- Presides over death penalty appeals, cases involving questions that arise under the U.S. or Ohio Constitution; and cases in which there are conflicting opinions from two or more courts of appeals.
- Presides over appeals from such administrative bodies as the Board of Tax Appeals and the Public Utilities Commission.
- Presides over cases of original jurisdiction for certain special remedies, including writs of habeas corpus (involving the release of persons allegedly unlawfully imprisoned or committed), writs of mandamus and procedendo (ordering a public official to do a required act), writs of prohibition (ordering a lower court to cease an unlawful act), and writs of quo warranto (against a person or corporation for usurpation, misuse or abuse of public office or corporate office or franchise).
- Presides over discretionary appeals of contested elections.
- Involved in making rules governing practice and procedure in Ohio’s courts, such as the Rules of Evidence, Rules of Civil Procedure and Rules of Criminal Procedure. Procedural.
- Presides over the admission of attorneys to the practice of law in Ohio and may discipline admitted attorneys who violate the rules governing the practice of law.
BUTLER COUNTY DOMESTIC RELATIONS COURT 1999-2012
- Presided over all cases involving divorce, dissolution of marriage, legal separation, and annulment.
- Presided over cases involving civil domestic violence.
- Presided over all matters related to the termination of marriage or domestic violence, including child custody, visitation between parents and their children, child support, property division, division of debts, and spousal support.
- Served as Visiting Judge for and heard cases by assignment for the Juvenile Division.
PRIVATE PRACTICE 1991-1998
Attorney at Law - General Practice
- Effectively and successfully handled criminal, civil, juvenile, probate and domestic relations litigation and appellate matters.
BUTLER COUNTY AREA COURTS 1995-1998
Magistrate & Warrant Officer
- Presided over eviction, small claims, and civil litigation.
- Responsible for making probable cause determinations and issuing arrest warrants and court summons.
BUTLER COUNTY JUVENILE COURT 1996-1997
Warrant & Compliance Officer
- Made probable cause determinations for issuance of arrest warrants and court summons.
- Reviewed delinquency complaints for legal sufficiency.
OHIO ATTORNEY GENERAL, BETTY D. MONTGOMERY 1995-1998
- Responsible for collection of judgments pertaining to unpaid state sales taxes, state income taxes, workers compensation premiums, and educational loans.
- Conduct judgment debtor examinations and garnish wages and assets.
FRATERNAL ORDER OF POLICE, LODGE 38 1991-1998
- Represented police officers during disciplinary hearings.
BUTLER COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS 1989-1991
Director, Victim/Witness Division
- Developed and implemented countywide victim/witness assistance program in compliance with state requirements.
- Drafted state-grant proposals and managed grant monies.
Law Clerk for the Honorable Matthew J. Crehan, Judge
- Conducted legal research and wrote draft opinions and decisions in all areas of civil litigation.
- Held probable cause hearings and made probable cause determinations for allegations of probation violations.
HAMILTON POLICE DEPARTMENT 1985-1989
Crime Prevention Officer
- Developed and implemented a variety of crime prevention programs for the City of Hamilton.
- Conducted home and business security inspections, organized and conducted neighborhood watch meetings, school drug programs grade K-12, community policing lectures, and individualized community crime prevention programs.
- Conducted routine patrol.
- Enforced state and local motor vehicle laws.
- Arrested DUI offenders, issued traffic citations, investigated accidents, impounded improperly registered vehicles.
- Arrested adult and juvenile criminal offenders for misdemeanor and felony crimes.
- Participated in undercover operations.
Juris Doctor, University of Cincinnati, College of Law
Bachelor Degree of Social Work, University of Cincinnati, School of Social Work
Butler County Bar Association, Member and Lecturer
Ohio Judicial Conference, Domestic Relations Law & Procedure Committee
Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church
The Cincinnati Enquirer, Professional Women to Watch 2013, March 17, 2013
Butler County Clerk of Courts, Excellence in Public Service June 2009
Ohio CSEA Directors Association, Judge of the Year 2006
Lakota East High School, Above the Fold Award 2002
Butler County Sheriff’s Department, Furtherance of Justice Award 2001
Alcohol Drug Addiction Services Board, 1995-2002; President 1998-2000
Butler County Juvenile Court, Multi-Disciplinary Intervention Program
Butler County Work Group Committee, 2009-2010
Cincinnati Bar Association, Lecturer
Lakota East Mock Trial, Advisor
Law Enforcement Training, Lecturer
Lindenwald Kiwanis Club, Member
Habitat for Humanity
Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, Member
Honor Council, University of Cincinnati College of Law
Hope for Healthy Kids, 1997
Ohio Association of Domestic Relations Judges, Member; Treasurer 2003-2011
Ohio Judicial College
New Judge Orientation Program, Lecturer
New Judge, Mentor
Spousal Support, Lecturer
Oxford Chamber of Commerce, Member
Senior Citizens, Inc., Board Member
St. Xavier High School, Lecturer
State of Ohio Bar Association, Member
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)
YWCA, Board Member 1994-1995